Explore the latest research from the National Pork Board, including studies on human nutrition and the important role pork plays as part of a healthy diet.
Insights from Food Modeling Research: Putting the Thrifty Food Plan into Practice
Study Shows Pork Fits in Nutritious Diet at Lower Cost
A new modeling study that examines the role of fresh pork in the revised Thrifty Food Plan (TFP), which provides a realistic cost estimate for achieving a healthy diet on a limited budget. The study shows that fresh pork is a high-quality, nutrient dense protein that fits into the lowest-cost healthy diet, meeting all the nutrient requirements and dietary guidelines.
The research revealed that:
- Pork can fit into a nutritious diet at a lower cost
- Selecting pork as the only source of meat protein in the TFP reduced the weekly cost below the current TFP cost levels
- Selecting pork as the only source of protein still allowed for nutrient-adequate diets in the TFP
There were a couple of study limitations, including:
- This was not an intervention or feeding study, so results cannot be used to suggest cause and effect.
- While the results are promising, the eating plans modeled in this study that feature pork need to be tested in reference households to assess if they are feasible to follow over the long-term.
The research emphasizes the value of fresh, lean pork as a cost-effective option for families looking to eat healthy on a budget. Read the full publication and discover how fresh pork can play a vital role in helping Americans of all ages eat healthy on a budget in a way that works for them.
Pork in a Plant-Forward Diet
Gut health is top-of-mind for many health professionals and consumers alike. Research indicates that healthy young adults who follow a plant-forward Healthy U.S.-Style Dietary Pattern based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans that includes 3 ounces of lean or processed pork may experience positive impacts on some markers of gut health and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Learn more about the benefits of adding pork to a healthy, plant-forward diet.