Inspires creativity with nutritious, kid-approved flavor combinations
DES MOINES, IOWA – Sept. 26, 2018 – The official back-to-school season has come and gone and kids, families and teachers have settled in for the school year ahead. To help combat the lunch box and hot meal monotony that comes this time each year, the National Pork Board developed easy, nutritious and creative ham sandwich ideas that bring exciting new flavors and variety to the lunch hour.
To teach parents and students how to diversify lunchtime using a meat they already know and love, the National Pork Board developed six unique sandwich recipes using deli ham, all of which were tested and approved by a select panel of grade-school children:
- The Luau Ham Sandwich – Pairs the smoky flavors of barbecue sauce and deli ham with the sweetness of pineapple and Hawaiian bread.
- The Fiesta Ham Roll-Up – Combines zesty guacamole, deli ham and your choice of string cheese, all rolled up in a tortilla.
- The Ham Jam Sandwich – The perfect salty and sweet combo, this kicks up the traditional ham and cheese sandwich with the addition of regular or sugar-free raspberry jam.
- Ham Pinwheels – Bite-size and pop-able, these pinwheels bring the unexpected element of cream cheese to the table.
- The Harvest Ham Sandwich – Apple slices and apple butter make this a festive fall lunch option.
- The Ham Pocket Sandwich – A Mediterranean take on the ham sandwich, this features hummus, veggies and a pita pocket.
In addition to offering a unique flavor profile, deli ham is also a nutrient-packed source of protein.
“Deli ham is a wholesome choice for perking up sandwiches,” said registered dietitian, Pat Baird. “It’s a lean, complete protein that’s packed with vitamins and minerals, and has flavor that combines well with any sandwich topping.”
A two-ounce serving of deli ham provides 10 grams of protein, one to two grams of fat, 60 calories and beneficial nutrients, vitamins and minerals like iron, vitamin B12 and B6, potassium and zinc, among others.