The first step for getting a premises identification number (PIN) is to contact your state animal health official’s office to talk to the identification program coordinator.
When producers are ready to call the state’s identification program coordinator to get your PIN be prepared to provide the following information for each site:
Producers should be prepared to provide the following information to register for their PIN:
- Name of entity or company
- Contact information for the owner or other appropriate individual
- Type of operation
- Street address, city, state, and ZIP code
- Telephone number
- Some states have an optional category for latitude and longitude numbers
- Most states request the species of livestock on the site
It is important to note that the number of livestock is not required. The information gathered at the federal level for Premises Registration is only intended to identify that livestock are present and not the numbers of animals of each species.