There’s nothing better on a cold night than hot soup, and this spicy southwestern version is sure to warm the soul. Best of all, it’s a great way to give leftovers new life. Instead of growing tired of pulled pork sandwiches for the fifth time, repurpose some of the extra meat to create this pulled pork tortilla soup. (In case you missed it, here’s our recipe for pulled pork).
This one-pot recipe comes together quickly. Saute onions and garlic, then dump in taco seasoning and cans of chiles, diced tomatoes, and black beans. Add corn, chicken stock, lime juice, pulled pork, and cilantro. After letting the flavors meld, dish it up and top it off with your favorite extras, including crispy tortilla chips. Get the full recipe below
If you don’t have pulled pork leftovers and don’t want to spend half a day making it, you can use other cuts of pork. Pan sear, roast or grill New York pork roast or pork chops, and then cut the meat into small pieces to throw into your soup.
This recipe makes four generous portions of pulled pork tortilla soup or provides some leftovers for the next day’s lunch. The taste only improves as the spices deepen and the soup thickens into a stew overnight.
Want even more ideas for making delicious pork soup? Check out these other great recipes:
- Ham & Cabbage Soup from Pork Knife and Spoon
- Thai Tofu-Pork Soup from Serious Eats
- Pork and Poblano Stew from Simply Recipes
- French-Style Pork Stew from America’s Test Kitchen
- Autumn Pork Stew from A Family Feast
Pulled Pork Tortilla Soup Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups pulled pork (get our Perfect Pulled Pork recipe here)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh corn cut from cobs)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lime juiced (about 1 tbsp.)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large saucepan or a dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until softened. Add seasoning, chiles, tomatoes, beans, corn, broth and lime juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Add pork, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Ladle soup into four bowls.
- Garnish with your choice of cilantro, shredded Monterey jack cheese, avocado chunks, sour cream, salsa, jalapeno slices and tortilla chips.