- Hog slaughter up 3.6% for the week and combined with higher weights pork production is running 4% above year ago levels.
- Increase in pork supplies continues to keep ham prices under pressure. Seasonally ham prices find a bottom at the end of December.
- Pork belly demand has increased sharply following a 20% decline in bacon retail prices. However, higher belly prices now could limit bacon features in January and impact wholesale price demand.
- Pork loin prices seasonally increase in January as retailers transition from holiday items to less expensive protein options.
- Lower prices for beef trimmings could pressure pork trim prices lower in the near term but prices should move higher in Feb/Mar on improving seasonal demand
Please see the rest of the document for our detailed price summary as well as our forecasts for the next six months.