By Jan Jorgensen
Nov. 12-18, the Pork Board joined 300+ groups to observe the U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week and World Antibiotic Awareness Week. Directed by the Centers for Disease Control, the event raised awareness of antibiotic resistance risks and the importance for human, animal health and the environment sectors to use antibiotics responsibly.
From fresh pork at the supermarket to pork pizza toppings at take-out, 97 percent of Americans bought pork in 2017, according to Pork Checkoff research. The study is providing in-depth data to help grow pork sales.
At the 91st National FFA Convention, the Checkoff and other pork industry groups shared animal care resources with more than 2,500 youth and 1,000 advisors and parents.
One out of 10
Today, diabetes affects more than 30 million Americans or one out of 10 people. One of the healthy diet patterns used to manage diabetes is the Mediterranean style diet pattern, which is often described as one that limits red meat. During Diabetes Awareness Month in November, the Pork Board shared research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that shows that people with diabetes can eat lean, unprocessed pork and still reap the health benefits associated with the traditional Mediterranean diet.
27 days of giving
Producers pay it forward – The third annual Hams Across America campaign kicked off on Giving Tuesday, Nov. 27 and ran through Dec. 23. During the 27 days of giving, pork producers and others in the pork industry showed their appreciation for friends, family and neighbors through the gift of ham and other pork products. The annual event also highlights pork donations made throughout the year as producers live out the We CareSM principle of giving back to their communities. This year’s highlights include:
- The National Pork Board, the National Pork Producers Council and the Iowa Pork Producers Association held a kickoff event where they served breakfast to clients of the Central Iowa Shelter and Services in Des Moines.
- The Illinois Pork Producers Association, Smithfield Foods and Prairie Fresh Pork® donated nearly 90,000 pounds of pork to the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
- The Oklahoma Pork Council packed and distributed backpacks for students in need as part of their Pork for Packs program.
- The North Carolina Pork Council and Smithfield Foods donated over 21 tons of pork to the Central and Eastern North Carolina Food Bank.
- The Pennsylvania Pork Producers Council partnered with the Harrisburg Police Department to distribute holiday food boxes.
- The Nebraska Pork Producers Association donated hams to homeless shelters in the Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska, areas.
- RealPigFarming.com highlighted the Minnesota Pork Board’s Oink Outings food bank donations, the Ohio Pork Council’s social challenge to producers to pay it forward during the campaign, as well as many other stories from across the industry.
After paying it forward to loved ones and those in need, pig farmers shared their stories on social media using #RealPigFarming and #HamsAcrossAmerica.