Whether you’re a swine operation manager, department head, an employee seeking a promotion or a student interested in a career in the swine industry, the Pork Checkoff’s new Certified Swine Manager (CSM) Program can help put you on the fast track to success.
This unique program helps develop knowledgeable, skilled employees who embody the pork industry’s We Care ethical principles of producing safe food, promoting animal well-being, protecting public health, safeguarding natural resources, providing a safe work environment and contributing to a better quality of life in our communities.
Top Five Reasons to Become A Certified Professional Swine Manager
- Opportunities for promotion into leadership management positions.
- Proof that you possess specific knowledge, skills and competencies to effectively perform essential job duties in swine management production.
- Demonstrate within your organization that you’ve invested the time to further your training
- Opportunities for on-going professional development and opportunities for career advancement.
- A demonstrated commitment to the pork industry’s We Care℠ ethical principles and continuous improvement.
As a Certified Swine Manager, you will:
- Be recognized for practical knowledge specific to pork production.
- Obtain certification to validate knowledge gained and work accomplished.
- Demonstrate your commitment to be a part of the professional workforce that is evolving within the industry that is committed to the We Care ethical principles.
To become a Certified Swine Manager:
- You must pass an exam to verify knowledge, skills and competence in swine production. The exam, administered online by the Pork Checkoff and overseen by your supervisor, addresses management level responsibilities and technical knowledge in sow-farm management, wean-to-finish management, facility operation and maintenance, human resource management and production records.
- You must also complete an on-the-job skills assessment by submitting documentation approved by your supervisor listing competencies mastered that are specific to reproduction management or wean-to-finish management.
Certification will be offered at a manager level and will be divided into two categories.
- CSM in Reproduction
- CSM in Wean-to-Finish
Are you a good candidate?
- You are age 18 years or older.
- You are PQA Plus® certified
- You are currently working in swine production.
OR You have taken the Professional Swine Manager Education Program courses
OR You have completed the U.S. Pork Center of Excellence Swine Science Online Certificate program.
Although it is not required, it is recommended that you have at least 2,080 hours of work experience in swine production prior to taking the exam. To register for the exam, click here to complete an online application (you will be required to sign up for a Pork.org user account if you have not already). Please read all the information included and follow instructions carefully.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a Certified Swine Manager, download the candidate bulletin. When you’re ready, click here to begin the application process.
Have questions? The Pork Checkoff is ready to help. Click here to Apply, or call the Pork Checkoff Service Center at (800) 456-7675